Wednesday, June 4, 2014

The Last Brownie (Notting Hill)

6/4/2014 NOTTING HILL

I never had one of those celebrity crushes until I started watching Hugh Grant movies. Not like "current" Hugh Grant...more like Bridget Jones-era Hugh Grant...if that makes any sense. But that's beside the point. I've recently watched the movie Notting Hill...which is basically only called that because that is the setting of the story. I think it is supposed to be near London since that is where the Julia Robert's character Anna Scott was temporarily staying.

The movie? It was a lot better than I expected it to be, although I was thoroughly disturbed by Hugh Grant's "flatmate". Part of me thinks that that was the whole point of the character in the first place. As love stories go, I appreciated that this one was unique from the others. I mean it's not like the whole "movie-star falls for regular person" idea is all that different, but the way the story was told was just that. Although I don't understand what kind of person would ever open a book store that solely sells travel books, I liked how Will and Anna met, it's definitely not a stereotypical "love at first site" kind of thing, at least not for Will anyway. I am not ashamed to say that I have absolutely not idea what Anna Scott was thinking or why she was even in a travel bookstore to start with. Just browsing I suppose.

I guess you could say that she got more than just a travel book to Turkey (I think?!) when she entered that store. I thought Will's sister's birthday party was a really sweet scene, but I think that the lady in the wheel chair should have gotten the last brownie because her story was far more tragic than that of Will. I also fail to understand how Anna Scott could deny Will (HUGH FREAKING GRANT) in order to stay with Jeff King (Alec Baldwin). It's just one of those things I guess. Either way, Will and Anna do end up stuck with each other in the end, and apparently expecting.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment