Monday, June 9, 2014

Obvious Much? (Bend it Like Beckham)

6/9/2014 BEND IT LIKE BECKHAM

"Where do you normally play?"

"In the park!"

...Jess says oh so delightfully. Moments like these are what make up this fantastic movie. I loved how Jess wasn't the stereotypical rebellious...somewhat skanky,teen female lead. As a matter of fact, neither was Jules. Another aspect that makes Jess an awesome protagonist is the fact that she was underestimated at first. When she first met Joe, the coach, he thought she was some joke who had never kicked a ball in her life. I absolutely love when people are underestimated and they prove everyone wrong. I guess that is why it is human instinct to root for the underdog.

Another thing that makes Jess my hero is the fact that she said that celebrating your culture is more important than sleeping around with boys you have no intention of marrying. Pinky must have missed out on the "good morals" gene because she was under the impression that Jess playing soccer would be even more of a disappointment than marrying someone outside the culture. I guess it doesn't matter...because Jess will probably do both. I think her parents will get over it. I mean, it was kind of adorable how Jess' dad started clapping when he watched her play.

As for the coach..."Joe" as he likes to be called. I think it is quite humorous how his name is "Joe"...in a movie with lots of pretty and unique Indian names. Whether his name is "Joe" or not, I got a little sick of hearing his sob stories. Suck. It. Up. I also think that he stared a little to long when he saw Jess in her "clubbing outfit." Obvious much? And then we have the classic balcony scene...until Jules promptly ruined it...kind of glad she did. What was with her top, though?!

There were also things about this movie that I didn't understand...at all. For instance, why did Joe make Jess run 5 laps only to forget about her? Why did he make her run in the first place? Did she miss practice or something? Also, I didn't understand why one of Jess' teammates asked "is that your mom and dad" referring to the only disapproving Indian couple in sight. WHO ELSE'S PARENTS WOULD THEY BE?! AND I was slightly confused as to why Jules' mom brought up George Michael in her distraught state. What does he have to do with soccer?




No comments:

Post a Comment