Tuesday, June 10, 2014

...and if he won't do it, than I want one with you... (One Day)

6/10/2014 ONE DAY

A roller coaster of a film to say the least. While I've read that others didn't like it so much, I strongly disagree. It would have been in my list of all time favorite movies HAD SHE NOT DIED. There. I've said it.

As far as the movie...I'm gonna start out with a WOOT WOOT for Anne Hathaway's one piece. It's refreshing not to see a bikini everywhere I turn...especially now that it's summer. At the beginning of the movie, Anne Hathaway's British accent made me uncomfortable. I guess that because I know she's American, it seemed unnatural. Though, as fake accents go, I thought it was pretty convincing.


I thought it was cute how Dex and Emma literally slept together the first night they really met. A year later, I was surprised to see where they had found themselves. Emma, a British server at a Mexican restaurant explaining Mexican food was one of the best things I've seen in a while.

"A tortilla is either corn or wheat, but a corn tortilla folded and filled is a taco, where as a filled wheat tortilla is a burrito. A deep fried burrito is a chimichanga. Toasted tortilla, it's a tostada, roll it, it's an enchilada."


...the way she says chimichanga.


My first impression of Dexter's mother is there is no way that young looking woman is Dexter's mother unless he was conceived when she was nine...The father on the other hand could pass for his grandfather.


I thought it was clever when Emma saw Dexter's tattoo and he explained that it meant "a perfect union of opposites." It was then that I got a big whiff of foreshadowing. Come on, I think we all knew that they would end up together. I also had a good chuckle when Dexter made the analogy about how he felt about women; "It's like I've just got out of prison all the time!"


It was sweet how when they fell asleep together while on vacation, Emma was wearing the same shirt that she wore during their first night together. This also happens with Emma's long dress, her swimsuit, and Dexter's mom's shoes. Speaking of his mother...when Dexter was at his all time low, and his dad told him that his "mother would've been...most impressed", I think we all knew that couldn't possibly be true. I do think, however, that she would be incredibly pleased with him at the end of the movie. 


The wedding scene. I got really scared when I saw this scene in the middle of the movie and thought one of them had gotten married. I was relieved until I found out that Dex was, in fact, going to get married and had also gotten his future wife pregnant. 


The highlight of this movie by far was the line, that I will never forget, spoken by Emma. "I want a child with the man I love...and if he won't do it than I want one with you." I'd ruin it by trying to analyze the perfection that is that quote, so I'll just leave you with that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment