Thursday, June 5, 2014

Mr. Collins is the BOMB.COM (Pride and Prejudice)

6/5/2014 PRIDE AND PREJUDICE (2005)

Although it takes some time to understand the flow of how English was spoken back then, Pride and Prejudice is honestly a movie that never stops giving...if that makes any sense. Every time I see the movie, (not gonna lie...I've seen it around a dozen times) I gain a whole new understanding of the events that transpired. I love Mr. Bennet and his old-fashioned sarcasm. Elizabeth no doubt has inherited her humour and wit from him. I also love the relationship between Elizabeth's parents. In the movie anyway, I felt like they really loved each other even though they got on one another's nerves. I have a feeling that Mrs. Bennet was a lot like Lydia when she was younger.

Mr. Collins, one of the many suitors of Elizabeth, is the bomb.com. I read somewhere that he was described much differently be Jane Austin in the book, tall and plump or something...either way, I about lost it when he went to "make himself known" to Mr. Darcy and Darcy about whacks him in the face with his elbow. So. Short. I was cracking up when he presented Elizabeth with a flower shortly before proposing...it was practically a weed, or something he found growing between the cracks in the road.

One of my absolute favorite Elizabeth/Darcy moments was shortly after they first met. Long story short, he called her "barely tolerable" and she called him out on it.

Elizabeth Bennet: And that put paid to it. I wonder who first discovered the power of poetry in driving away love?
Mr. Darcy: I thought that poetry was the food of love.
Elizabeth Bennet: Of a fine stout love, it may. But if it is only a vague inclination I'm convinced one poor sonnet will kill it stone dead
Mr. Darcy: So what do you recommend to encourage affection?
Elizabeth Bennet: Dancing. Even if one's partner is barely tolerable.
She then proceeds to walk away leaving him stunned and probably a little bit (...or a lotta bit) embarrassed. 
I also love the end, after Mr. Darcy has prevented eternal shame upon the Bennet family by paying for the marriage of Lydia and aiding Mr. Bingley in proposing to Jane, when he runs into Elizabeth while they are both conveniently roaming the fields early in the morning. 
Mr. Darcy: You must know... surely, you must know it was all for you. You are too generous to trifle with me. I believe you spoke with my aunt last night, and it has taught me to hope as I'd scarcely allowed myself before. If your feelings are still what they were last April, tell me so at once. My affections and wishes have not changed, but one word from you will silence me forever. If, however, your feelings have changed, I will have to tell you: you have bewitched me, body and soul, and I love, I love, I love you. I never wish to be parted from you from this day on.
While I could easily go on for 47 and one half days about this movie, I will save us both some time and just leave you with the very brief highlights. hashtag yourwelcome

No comments:

Post a Comment