Saturday, June 7, 2014

Sincerely Overwhelmed by Daniel Cleaver (Bridget Jones's Diary)

6/7/2014 BRIDGET JONES'S DIARY

Bridget Jones's Diary is one of those movies that I always used to hear people make references to, but never really understood what they were saying because I never made the effort to watch it. It was always on my "to watch...eventually" list. I finally got around to it and man am I glad I did. While this movie is the epitome of a good, solid chick-flick, it made it's mark in the cinema world because it went about the genre with a different approach. Rarely is the protagonist, our hero, an awkward, overweight, smoker in her thirties. Somehow, the creators of this film made us fall in love with her, just as much, if not more, than any ordinary hero. Another thing that sets this film apart from the others is the fact that there are two males of interest, and oddly enough- Bridget gets her shot at both of them.

My absolute favorite part about this movie was at the beginning, around the book launch party, when Bridget finally decided to go for Daniel Cleaver (HUGH GRANT <3), and not care so much about what other people thought about her, because it was only holding her back. I love the fact that she set out to "fix" the things about herself that she didn't like and do what she set out to do. She got her boss interested in her and changed the way others perceived her at the same time... although she still maintained her awkwardness.

HUGH GRANT AT HIS PRIME. I suppose I was so overwhelmed by Daniel Cleaver that I hadn't even considered what role Mark Darcy would play until he confessed to Bridget that he liked her "just the way she [was]". I find it greatly admirable that he was willing to admit that he loves every single fault that she has. When he admitted this to her, I was kind of taken off guard because we, the viewers, hadn't really had enough time to see the spark develop between them. Even so, I think he is the right balance for her...quirkiness.

Who doesn't love a good Daniel Cleaver/Mark Darcy fight? I mean, Bridget must have been enjoying the brawl at least a little-to have these guys fight over her?

No comments:

Post a Comment