Monday, June 16, 2014

Queen Latifah? Jennifer Hudson? Alicia Keys? (The Secret Life of Bees)

6/16/2014 THE SECRET LIFE OF BEES

Ever since I read this book last summer for school, I've desperately wanted to see the movie. Let's just say that I didn't exactly picture Queen Latifah as August. While we're on the subject, I wasn't quite on point about Jennifer Hudson or Alicia Keys either...nevertheless, I did enjoy seeing them in their respective roles. Queen Latifah just looks like a person that is a good hugger. It was cool to see Jennifer Hudson acting, considering the last time I saw her on the television, I was watching American Idol...or was it that Weight Watchers commercial...either way, most singers-turned-actors (or visa versa) are horribly unconvincing. J Hudson, on the other hand, was an old pro. I have to say, I connect with Alicia Keys' character June the most. hashtag stubborn.

Did anyone else feel like Lily was whispering the entire time? Maybe it was just the accent, or a nod at the fact that Lily was constantly unsure of herself. I can't really blame her, having to live with the guilt of killing her mom in all...and stuff.

One of my favorite parts was when August was telling the story of the Black Mary. Those women were really taking in everything she said. They were all closing their eyes, saying "Mm" to every single thing she said. It's inspiring how they had something to believe in. Not entirely sure why Lily fainted, too many emotions at once or something. I wonder how the Boatwright's came to own the Mary statue.

I imagined the last fight scene to be more epic. The little tussle between Lily and T-Ray was described much differently in the book. I could actually say that about all the dramatic scenes. For instance, in the honey house, after Lily has found out the truth about her mother, I imagined the entire honey house in ruins, not just a couple jars broken. Pretty sure that's how it was in the book as well.

I was very confused as to what happened to Zach when they were at the movies...in the book, he was arrested for something totally different. After reading the Wikipedia page, it turns out he was kidnapped for sitting with Lily in the "colored" section of the theater. I don't understand how that could anger someone enough to kidnap him, but it was different times I guess.

If you're up for a feel-good movie about forgiveness and the true meaning of family, I have a feeling you're gonna like this one. If you like feel-bad movies about hatred and the true meaning of the word "stranger", then this movie may not be for you. You'd be surprised...there are always those people out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment