Wednesday, June 11, 2014

"Please putout Her Grace's hair" (The Duchess)

6/11/2014 THE DUCHESS

The Duchess, is an excellent movie that did a perfect job displaying that life doesn't always lead toward a "happily ever after"... sometimes just a compromise for the better. Georgiana, The Duchess of Devonshire, was shown as somewhat of a tortured soul, who couldn't follow her heart because of an image to protect. She often found herself in a situation where she had to choose the lesser of two evils.

I thought it was clever how the beginning of the movie, showing Georgiana betting on who would win a race, somewhat foreshadowed her future frequent gambling. I can't help but wonder how those men run so fast in tights. Years of practice, I guess. Shortly after, when Georgiana's mother had informed her of her engagement to the Duke, I found it tough to distinguish whether she was happy or sad about the fact that she was to marry a complete stranger. I was pleased to find out that she was excited, even though I previously saw that she had feelings for a certain Charles Grey. Rarely are the girls in these movies happy about arranged marriages.

Why the wigs? That is one concept of the past that I don't think I will ever understand. I get so distracted by the little loops at the end of them...I suppose the Duke was somewhat handsome...for someone in a wig. I guess it doesn't matter...since he's a duke and all. I found the Duke and Duchess' wedding night horribly awkward, I guess that was the point. The hasty undressing of a couple back then was quite different than that of today...longer. Also, while I do have a deep hatred for the Duke...I did chuckle a little when he plainly stated "please put out Her Grace's hair", after it had caught afire at a party.

During a dinner scene, not long after the wedding, Georgiana says something quite profound. She states that things must be "a matter of either, or", making it sound like the simplest concept, which I guess it is. Yet, it is this concept that the world struggles with even today.

"I'm sure you are full of the best intentions, Mr. Fox, but I dare say I would not spend my vote, if I had it, of course, on so vague a statement. One is either free or one is not. The concept of freedom is an absolute. After all, one cannot be moderately dead or moderately loved or moderately free. It must always remain a matter of either or."

No comments:

Post a Comment