Friday, June 6, 2014

Like a walrus trying to hop back into the water... (Save the Last Dance)

6/6/2014 SAVE THE LAST DANCE

How to begin...let's see... I definitely enjoyed the move, don't know if I would see it again, but it was good, entertaining to say the least. It kept my attention and didn't seem to drag on, so I suppose it was successful in those fields. Criticisms? To start, the fact that she called her father Roy confused me to no end. Towards the close of the movie when he was explaining how he had failed her as a FATHER, things finally clicked for me. Other than that, I thought that Sarah's first attempt at hip-hop was similar to a walrus trying to hop back into the water. I guess you could say I am pretty neutral when it comes to this movie, in other words...decent, but nothin' to write home about.

Derek's dance pants that he wore when we first saw him at STEPPS were fantastical...I mean "slammin'." It was also slammin' when Derek was telling Sarah about his hopes and dreams and how he wanted to be a doctor for children because he "liked kids" and Sarah was all "Do you have any?" and he was all "NO. :| Do you?!" The look on his face was indescribable, like a cross between "what the heck?!" and "who do you think you are?" with a dash of "are you for real?!" Hahaha. Slammin' indeed.

ALSO, when Sarah and Derek are at Sarah's place and she shows him her "bed" and then mentions that her dad won't be home all night, I think we all knew where that was going. And if you didn't get the hint concerning what was about to happen between them, the twinkle in Derek's eye should've tipped you off.

I thought it was clever how every time we observed Sarah practicing ballet there was hip-hop music playing in the background. I just knew that she was gonna do some sort of ballet-hip-hop mix choreography for the Julliard audition, which is pretty much what sealed the deal for her. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the judge's comment cards said "slammin'"

No comments:

Post a Comment