Monday, July 21, 2014

RIP James Garner (The Notebook)

7/21/2014 THE NOTEBOOK

Due to the recent death of James Garner, I decided to finally get around to watching The Notebook. It was NOT what I expected, and I didn't even realize that he was reading from a notebook until the end when it was revealed that the story was written by Allie.

At first, Allie's dilemma left me torn. I mean, I knew she would choose Noah...but I also felt like she loved Lon. Both men were viable options. I came to the conclusion that the right thing to do was to stay with Noah after her mother showed her the man she had once had a fling with and broke down in tears. Although grateful for Allie's dad, Allie's mom clearly had some regret about not following her heart. I think that Allie knew that she could end up the same way.

I think we all knew who those two old people were before it was announced that they were indeed Noah and Allie. I came to the conclusion during the middle of the movie that there was no way this would end happily. I decided that the best, most realistic option would be for them to die together...although I would've been satisfied if they could've been miraculously recovered.

I don't agree with Allie's mothers decision to hide all of Noah's letters...but I think we all have to admit that it made for a better story.

Seeing this movie had opened up a whole new world of references that I will now understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment