Tuesday, July 8, 2014

A "costume party" is never JUST a costume party... (Legally Blonde)

7/8/2014 LEGALLY BLONDE

"You haven't seen Legally Blonde yet?!?!?!?!"

"No..."

Now I don't have to go through that humiliation every time I start talking about chick flicks with one of my friends! But, now that I've seen the movie, I understand how it has become one of those "must see" movies. I admit...it looked kind of stupid. But now, it is easily one of my guilty pleasure movies. The underestimated rising to glory is probably one of my all time favorite story plots...never gets old.

At first, I had no idea why they would choose the name Legally Blonde. I mean...it's not like it's a clever play on words or anything. Ha! Wrong. Upon further thought I have come to realize that it sounds similar to "legally blind" but incorporates the fact the Elle is blonde and ALSO a law student at Harvard. Most of you probably think I'm pretty stupid since it took me this long to realize how clever a title it was...but the moment I cracked the code, I felt pretty profound.

Oh Elle...when will you realize. A "costume party" is NEVER just a costume party. It is also often a center for humiliation and grave embarrassment. I have to say, Elle played it off pretty cool and didn't let herself become effected by the impending shame that was surely to come upon her. Sometimes you have to learn the hard way...

The only downside to this movie is that I knew the moment that she became excited for her date with Warner that he was going to break up with her. I knew the moment she went to Harvard to get him back that he would eventually come back and she would reject him. I knew the moment she met Emmet that he would be the one that she would fall for. I mean, the movie was pretty standard as far as archetypes and foreshadowing go. I was suspicious of Callahan, but he proved to be a pretty good guy so I let it slide...he proved me wrong. One thing I did NOT expect was that she would become Brooke's lawyer.

It made me extremely happy the way she helped that guy out who was trying to ask a girl on a date. She basically went up and slapped him because he didn't call her back after a night of alleged passion. The thought process of the girl he wanted to ask out was basically "if he went out with her, than who am I to reject him? It was awesome(:

I LOVE Jennifer Coolidge, who played Paulette the manicurist. I also loved that her love interest is only known to us as "the UPS guy"...although I think the wiki page says his last name is Parcelle...hahaha, I see what they did there.

No comments:

Post a Comment